Coined as the most important meal of the day, Breakfast, contrary to its coinage, gets as much attention as the “Terms and Conditions” on any new BB application people download.
Fork It Over Dubai is taking on a new initiative to Brining Breakfast Back to Dubai!
Go beyond the hum drum coffee shops that are the default Breakfast settings and into the breakfasts that make you want to sing It’s a Beautiful Day.
All About the Bagel – Circle on Jumeira Beach Road
One of my fondest memories of New York City is having a perfectly toasted, poppy seed, Philly cream filled bagel early in the morning while watching the city come alive.
With a bit of research I discover that Circle on Jumeirah Beach Road offers Dubai’s first H&H bagels (Famous New York Bagels).
- The Must Have: A toasted bagel and cream cheese of your choice. You can order a more complicated bagel i.e. with salmon, but to me something as perfect as a cream cheese bagel need not be messed with.
- The Do Not Have: Half way through my scrambled eggs, I think to myself, why am I paying for this? It is an under spiced, not worth my 27 Drihams, I can make eggs at home ten times better than this type of dish.
- Nice Surprise: My brown/whole grain waffle is delicious and even bordering on healthy – sans the maple syrup that is.
- Timings: All day breakfast.
Girls Moring Out – Forty Carrots in Dubai Mall
I was a little standoffish about recommending a breakfast place in a mall, why? Cause there is something about malls in the morning that doesn’t sit well with me. Don’t get me wrong I am a big mall person, MOE was my second home when I lived in Barsha and DXB Mall is now my second home as I live in Old Town. But, for a girls morning out occasion I will make an exception for Forty Carrots. It’s a joyful (the pick says it all) outlet in Dubai Mall that has a light and healthy selection of offerings. And to top it all off, the tipping point for which to accept a mall in the morning, the one and only Bloomingdales is opened/part owner/ stuck to the café. Part breakfast, part retail therapy and part girls morning out.
- The Must Have: One of the best yogurt offerings in Dubai. Yes I have tasted all the rest, trust me this is one of the leaders.
- Nice Surprise: Interesting omelet offerings such as the Greek omelet bursting with flavors such as olives, feta cheese, mushrooms and more.
- Timings: All day breakfast.
The Splurge – Olivio in The Royal Mirage
Everyone and I mean EVERYONE deserves a splurge every once in a while. It’s actually scientifically proven to increase a person’s health – where I get my health facts is beyond the scope of this blog, but it’s all true stuff. Why would I pick The Royal Mirage out of all the hotels in Dubai? Because I don’t want to have breakfast in a lobby or a hall on the X millionth floor of a hotel – there is no added value in that. I want a place that I can escape to, something resort-like where I can sit outside and enjoy the fresh beach breeze.
- The Must Have: There are two breakfast halls in the Royal Mirage, you must east at Olivio because it has the open outside seating. As for the menu, pancakes, fresh fruits, tailored omelets, sausages and many more are all fair game.
- Nice Surprise: A peacock may stroll by your table.
- Timings: 7:30 am t0 11:00 am.
The Business Breakfast – Florian in DIFC
Need a place to impress your clients/boss/have a business meeting/ go to breakfast before work? Florian is the perfect place that offers exceptional breakfasts choices. It was the breakfast the pleasantly surprised me the most.
- The Must Have: The oh so fluffy pancakes with straw berries on the side. Tip: ask for extra maple syrup there’s nothing more beautiful than plunging a fork full of packages into a bowl full of maple syrup. The poached eggs and turkey dish is also a must have. Though the hollandaise sauce could use some minor tweaking the eggs and sautéed turkey cold cuts put a smile on my face.
- Nice Surprise: The Chocolate Croissant. Easily one of the best chocolate croissants I have tasted in Dubai. The menu it stated freshly made which was doubted by my mind until my mouth tasted the incredibly light, crispy feather puff pastry countered by the warm, creamy dark chocolate on the inside.
- Timings: Sunday to Thursday 7:30 am to 11:00 am
When in the Middle East – Al Reef Lebanese Bakery on Al Wasel Road
There’s nothing like a zatar manousheh on the go. Refer to my Al Reef blog post for more details about the experience.
- The Must Have: Zatar manousheh with tomoatoes.
- Timing: 24/7.
My Readers Suggestions
“Try Eric Kayser in Dubai mall! Apart from being health-conscious, it actually tastes good. And for the bread…soooo très Bon!”